Best In The Field

Senior Jack Gambassi, Capital against Centennial, Sept.25. Photo by Lillian Tovar

Lillian Tovar

Lillian Tovar

Chassity Titus, Staff Writer

Varsity soccer player Parker Vail said that the most important thing about soccer was meeting new people. It lets people express themselves in a way that’s different than talking.

“It’s important to meet new people on the team because it makes it easier to make friends,” he said.

Another important thing about being on the soccer team was being competitive. Being a competitive person is good for the competition. If the team isn’t competitive and has no motivation, then the game is no fun.

“Soccer isn’t thought of as the most competitive sport, but when the opposite  team is as competitive as you are then it creates a fun and serious environment,” he said.

Vail had played soccer ever since he was 5 years old. He couldn’t picture himself not playing soccer.

“If you have an interest in soccer then try it out. It’s not the easiest sport to learn, but it’s worth it,” he said.

Omercevic Benis, Vail’s soccer coach, said, Senior captain, Parker Vail has done well to lead our team to a successful season. Parker is a force at the center back position, he acts as an anchor to our defensive unit.”

Beating Rocky Mountain High School was one of many achievements the team made.

“Rocky High earlier in the season was a team achievement. Our team pulled together, defended well and took home the 1-0 victory on our home field against the Grizzlies,” Benis said.

The soccer team’s season record  was 6 wins and 2 losses.

So, what does the future look like for the boys varsity soccer team?

“We are looking forward to continued success for the CHS Boys Soccer Program. We are only losing a few seniors, although key, we have a strong base which to fill positions in from,” Benis said.

Soccer will always be in Vail’s life. He’s not sure what he wants to go to college for or even if he wants to play soccer in college.

“I’ll talk to the colleges about playing soccer, but I’m just not sure yet. If I did get the chance to play soccer in college, then I would take it,” he said.