Marching Band

Sophomore Gavin Snow, junior Jake Gardiner, and senior Lindsey VanHorn,  Homecoming  assembly at the Capital High School gym, Oct. 13.

Sophomore Gavin Snow, junior Jake Gardiner, and senior Lindsey VanHorn, Homecoming assembly at the Capital High School gym, Oct. 13.

Madelyn Hoppell

Madelyn Hoppell

Gali Valentin, Staff writer

Marching band member junior Ben Gardiner said that his trip to Pasco, Washington was a great experience. The performance lasted 8-9 minutes, which went well, despite the fact that some props were destroyed during it due to high winds.

“I would recommend people to join because of the trips. The bus rides aren’t bad, and watching the other high schools perform was really enjoyable,” Gardiner said.

Band camp was one of the most important parts about being in Marching Band. During the camp, they would practice marching and warm ups. Then, they would go inside to match volume to help them sound better together.

“The days are long but water games make it worth it,” he said.

Another key part of Marching Band was drill and and music memorization. The music memorization was easy because it was in small sections. The drill was taught during Thursday rehearsals where it was repeated until most musicians understood.

“It’s important to learn it, or it will offset the whole show. Especially if you are a soloist,” Gardiner said.

Gardiner intended to join Marching Band in future years and planned on being the section leader. He plans to continue playing the tenor drums but might switch to snare drums.

“Keep on going with it if you enjoy it because it’s a fun activity to do,” he said.