Borah game

Senior Jordan Godeny-Scott lines up on the ball with the offensive line behind him, Game against Borah, Aug. 25.

Madelyn Hoppell

Madelyn Hoppell

Nathan Layne, Team Editor

One must-watch Capital football game you can’t miss is the game every year against the Eagle’s rival, Borah High School. Bad blood and nail biting games have emerged out of these two teams since Capital’s doors opened in 1965, and both teams come out every time they play with one goal in mind, that 1 “W” on the schedule.

The Capital Football Family played the Borah Lions on Friday, August 25 at Dona Larsen Park and they played just as that, a family.

Senior defensive tackle Keagan McCoy was among the many players to show the Lions that game was the Eagle’s and nobody else’s.

“The first game against Borah was super physical, it was a great game and both teams made great plays. The atmosphere at Dona Larsen Park was intense and I loved it, it was like any intensity I’d ever seen,” said McCoy, “And when we got on the field, we were like family, all together, Capital football really is a family.

Going into the game, Capital scored the first touchdown of the season, spurring an outbreak of screams from the student section, but was then silenced when the Lions came back with six points of their own.

The excitement didn’t last long on the opposing team’s side though, with Capital scoring 27 unanswered points in the second and third quarter.

The Eagles proved a difficult opponent to beat, junior quarterback Ryan Hibbs threw 14-27, and racking up 201 yards in the air and notably a 66 yard connection in the second half to senior wide receiver Gavin Murray.

Running the football seemed just as effective for junior running back Sam Sessou-Djkoto as he compiled 222 total rushing yards.

The Eagle’s rein of terror enveloped Borah for over a decade until a few years ago, in 2015 when Borah’s senior wide receiver Jake Paulin, hauled in the game winning pass with two minutes left to play.

Ever since then, the intensity of each game blows up, but since that one win in 2015, the Eagles have proven that’ll be their last victory over a team who on Friday, August 25, beat the Lions 37-19.

“I love playing those kinds of games. The intensity and tenacity is just off the charts and being in that kind of environment, season opener, against our rival was just so unreal,” McCoy said, “I’ve been playing for this team since my freshman year and the first game never gets old.”

“In the future, Capital will be as strong as ever and will continue to beat Borah. We’ll always be the team to beat across town.”