Pasco Trip

+Junior+Christine+Horton%2C+sophomore+Sydney+Lindenberg%2C++juniors+Paden+Hyod+and+Aaron+Orenstein%2C+Pasco+Trip%2C+Oct+6%2C%0A%E2%80%9CThis+year+was+pretty+crazy%2C%E2%80%9D+Ryan%E2%80%99s+said++
 Junior Christine Horton, sophomore Sydney Lindenberg,  juniors Paden Hyod and Aaron Orenstein, Pasco Trip, Oct 6,
“This year was pretty crazy,” Ryan’s said

Junior Christine Horton, sophomore Sydney Lindenberg, juniors Paden Hyod and Aaron Orenstein, Pasco Trip, Oct 6, “This year was pretty crazy,” Ryan’s said

Sydney Lindenberg, Staff Writer

Senior flute player Savannah Southwick said that, at the Pasco preliminaries on Saturday, Oct. 7, the props the  Capital band were using were destroyed. The wind had gone crazy the moment that they walked onto the field.

“We’ll make sure the props are windproof next time,” she said. The other schools put holes into their props and their chaperones held them from behind after Capital High’s performance.

Southwick also said the Capital band made finals, because they accidentally called Capital’s name instead of another school’s. She said that she, along with everyone else, was so surprised they didn’t even cheer.

“Put out your best, even if the elements aren’t on your side,” she said.

She said that in finals, they moved up two spots after the competition. Southwick said she had a lot more focus in finals, which helped quite a bit.

“Realize when you’ve been given a second chance, and make it better,” she said.

In the future, she said that she would like to continue band in college, since it has been so much fun and helped her even in school.

“It teaches you discipline and you grow close to other people. It’s like a job and a family,” she said.

Senior tuba player, Adelyah Al-Ghizi said that band is hard work. They march at insane tempos for hours, they have to keep their feet in time and play their music well, and jazz run quite a bit.

“You juggle plates,” she said, quoting one of the instructors.

Band also takes a lot of concentration and focus. They must always be playing good music, and always get to, or close to, their spot.

“Tough stuff. It’s not easy at first, but you get better with practice,” she said.

“It has a fun environment, they can talk to people about memes, and sometimes Mr. Lindorfer and Blake [French] will sing a song.”

“Don’t give up on it,” she said.

For the future, Al-Ghizi hopes that the band will be doing well, and that it will be G-O-O-D. “Win finals at D3!” she told me excitedly.

Sophomore mellophone player, Gavin Snow, said that the Pasco trip was fun. They got to watch West Side Story, which is the piece they were playing, on the bus on their way to Pasco.

“JOIN BAND!” he said.

He said that he was shocked that they made finals. The weather was devastating to their props broke, and he didn’t put his all into it.

“I wish the weather was better,” he said, “It was really exciting, though.”

He hopes in the future that he will become a section leader when he becomes a senior, and when he graduates, hopes to continue in college.

“It may be hard, but stick with it, it pays off,” Snow said