Swim Team Preliminary Session

Congrats to all of the swimmers at today’s preliminary session of the 2018 Idaho High School State Championship Meet (and thanks to the alternates for being ready to go…ahem, Sawyer).

Our swimmers had 6 best times today.  We qualified for the Finals heat in 10 events and the consolation heat in 4 events.
       I want to give a special mention to Abigayle Jones who swam the meet with a sprained wrist.  While swimming the 100 Butterfly (qualifying 6th), she re-injured her wrist.  Despite this, she gritted her teeth and chose to swim the 500 Free.  Kudos to this Aquanaut for demonstrating mental toughness and perseverance today.
       Another shout out to the Girls Relay Team.  Avery, Mercia, Jadyn, and Reagan dropped 2.79 seconds in the 200 Free Relay and 3.51 seconds in the 400 Free Relay.  They qualified 4th and 8th, respectively, in both relays, despite being seeded 7th and 9th in each race.  Each swimmer improved her split from the District meet, in both relays. Tremendous performance by all concerned.
       Reminder that the finals session is now divided between 4A in the morning and 5A in the afternoon.  All swimmers need to show up at 12:40 on the concrete island in front of the main entrance to the Y.  We will enter, as a unit, at 12:45, with warm-ups starting at 1:15 (we will be in lanes 5 or 6).  Spectators may enter at 1:30.  The Parade of Athletes will start at 2:15, with the meet starting at 2:30.
       I want to see all of the swimmers at the turn end cheering on their teammates during their races tomorrow.  Let them here you when they get on the blocks and in the pool.  This emotional charge will spark that bit of adrenaline in them at just the right time as they begin their race and help bring them home at the end of their swim.  Also, please acknowledge each Eagles swimmer as they receive their award for finishing in the top 6 of their event.  I know some of you have the lungs because I went deaf standing next to you at  the relay meet.
Job well done today, but we still have work to do tomorrow.
Coach M