The crucible

Back to Article
Back to Article

The crucible

Theatre Student Bailey Arendt whom took on a lead role in “The Crucible” said that the cast was a very important aspect of the play. The play was emotionally taxing and the theatre students worked hard to ensure that they respected the characters and the way they were represented.

“This cast has grown so much in such a short amount of time and we are excited and thrilled to be continuing the legacy of the Eagle Pride Players,” Arendt said.

She also said that another important aspect of “The Crucible” was the message. With the Kavanaugh hearings and our current government where people aren’t afraid to throw out false accusations just for shock value, this play reminds us that things aren’t always black and white nor what they may first appear to be.

“I would tell anyone who comes to see the play to pay attention. I know we’re just a high school theatre group, but this play and the work we have put into it is meaningful,” she said.

The women of the play were amazing. Elizabeth Proctor who was strong throughout the proceedings of being ripped from her family and threatened with death.
“They are incredibly strong. Although this is a time where women are powerless, the people.

She said there was a lot to look forward to for the Capital Theatre group. “We as a program have so much to bring to Capital and we’re thrilled for the opportunity to showcase our talent,” said Arendt.

The drama department performed “The Crucible” on October 17, 18, 22, 23 in the auditorium. Sophomore Shannon Maloney said that the “witches” in Salem were a key part in the play. Some girls in Salem would see “spirits” but there was no sign of paranormal activity.

“It’s the main plot of the play,” Maloney said.

They would go to court and hold trials. There’s a strict judge that has a good reputation that he would protect. If anything would go wrong during the trials the people would become upset.

“Pay attention to the court.” It’s very important to the plot,” she said.

Maloney thought it was interesting how the trials took place in the Town of Salem; she also mentioned how the trials were talked over in one of her history classes.

“Found it interesting,” she said.
Plays like “The Crucible” are really interesting and good for the

theatre class here at Capital said Maloney.
“People should go watch and support the plays because they’re really

cool and there’s tons of work put into them,” Maloney said.