E-Sports

Back to Article
Back to Article

E-Sports

Junior Logan Stites giving advice in room 119 to help a new member,

Junior Logan Stites giving advice in room 119 to help a new member, "I thought the club was originally going to be a small group of friends having fun, instead we got this big family sized package of fun people and teamwork. Who knew?!" Stites said. Nov 26.

Giovanni Diaz

Giovanni Diaz

Giovanni Diaz

Giovanni Diaz, Team Editor

When asked about the E-Sports club the coordinator for the club Mr. Watson said, “He’s a little defensive because usually when he says E-Sports he gets a reaction like oh people playing video games and that’s the difference between playing a game of volleyball outside of school and playing competitive basketball in college.” Esports really was not a comparable activity maybe doing some of the same things.

“The organization and practice required and the teamwork and elements that make Esports competitive make it a whole lot more relevant and meaningful for groups of students to participate in,” Watson said.

He said that he, “hopes that over the years they can build their Esports program to something that is competitive.”

There were several other high schools in our state, even in the treasure valley that have competitive Esports teams and compete in various leagues.

“So we’d love to join in a league and compete, that’d be great,” Watson said.

He doesn’t play games with the kids, but said he “loves to see people working towards a discipline teamwork based sort of game, I don’t care if its Esports or basketball or whatever it is.”

“The most important thing is the fact that we have a club that people don’t know about. We don’t have a lot of equipment right now but we are working towards adding teamwork and competition and the elements that make competitive sports worth competing in,” Watson said.

Senior and Esports Team Captain Katelyn Salo said that for the Esports club they were trying to keep the games friendly for school so they wouldn’t have games that used heavy gun violence but were going to have competitive games that would involve a small degree of violence.

Competitive games were college – level that helped them primarily focus on transferring these skills over to a college Esports team.

“If they’re interested in pursuing Esports in college and if they’re interested in honing their skills in certain competitive games then definitely check it out. Everyone there is really friendly and we try to keep as non toxic as possible and as accepting of other people’s skills,” Salo said.

When asked about the teams in Esports, Salo said, “They would have had some sort of varsity team which was going to be the people with the most skills and would have the availability to practice after school, there would also be a more casual team.”

Within the teams they’d hold tournaments and two teams per rank which could compete against each other.

“We have teams based on their degree of interest, if they don’t have much availability and their skills were mediocre, it was ok, they could play more casually. For people who wanted to play more competitively we had teams for that too, there were choices there’s no push for a certain interest level,” Salo said.

“They were in the early stages and right now there’s a lot of details we need to figure out,” Salo said.

They weren’t really pushing to get things to have everything figured out in a certain time frame. They just tried to see how everything was going and test it.

“We’ll definitely have everything figured out by the end of the year but for now not everything is super solidified so expect change if they’re interested in this,” Salo said.

In the future they plan to have the tournaments and even try to seek the aid of BSU because they have an Esports team.

“Esports aren’t going anywhere and so it’ll be around probably for years to come,” Salo said.