- The student news site of Capital High School - Formally known as CHS Flight -

Horticulture Center Pieces

January 24, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Horticulture Center Pieces

Violet Martin's finished center piece Sep.14.

Allex Sanchez

Allex Sanchez

Allex Sanchez

Junior Alyssa Dillon made centerpieces for Thanksgiving. The class had a raffle ticket sale to see what kind of flowers they could use. The class was supposed to have sold five or more tickets for the raffle. They ended up buying Spider Mums or Roses to incorporate into the centerpieces from the raffle money. If a student did not sell any of the raffle tickets or not all five they would use Carnations for their centerpieces.

“We had to place the flowers we got in a complementary order from each other so it looked nice,” said Dillon.

A guest speaker came in and showed the class a few tips and tricks about how to maintain the flowers and greenery. The experience was very useful and they were able to ask questions about how to create the centerpieces.

“It helped me get an idea of what I wanted my centerpiece to look like,” she said.

The final outcome of the centerpieces was interesting to see all of the colors were together. The class had a good time making the centerpieces and  learning how to make those pieces of art in such a short amount of time.

“I really enjoyed how my centerpiece looked on the top of my table,” she said

“In the future I hope kids have a fun time learning how to make these fun and pretty pieces of art. I want to see Horticulture class continue to make such great art with flowers.I am really looking forward to see the class get bigger and do great things,” Dillon said

Junior Cenedra Terry was included in the making of the centerpieces for Thanksgiving day. There was a process of making the centerpieces. There was a professional florist who came in and showed the class how to make them and how to take care of the flowers.

“It was long because you wanted to understand what was happening and what you were doing,” said Terry.

When placing the greenery and flowers, they used Leather Leaf Fern, Mertal and had the choice to use Spiral Eucalyptus to cover the bottom of the pan and to cover empty spots.

“The greenery was hard cause you had to hide everything you didn’t want seen and when the flowers were placed it came all together,” she said. We had fun making the centerpieces. There was a lot of standing but in the end it was super fun to have that experience learned.

“Everyone had their own way of doing them and their process, so it was really fun to watch there’s come together,” she said.“In the future of making the centerpieces. This helped me so if I decide to go into the floral industry this helped me so I have some background about making centerpieces.”

“You have to pay attention to the little details so you’re not asking questions the whole way through the process,” she said.