Wahooz DECA Field Trip

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wahooz DECA Field Trip

Senior Bob Hoang plays musical chairs, Wahooz event center leadership activities, Nov. 8.

Senior Bob Hoang plays musical chairs, Wahooz event center leadership activities, Nov. 8. "Fun to see DECA members come together as a team," Sandy Murin said.

Mia Koberg

Mia Koberg

Mia Koberg

Mia Koberg, Editor

Senior Tegan Maestretti was a third year DECA member who organized the Wahooz field trip for the 2018-2019 National DECA class. The main focus of the field trip was team building between all of the students by playing games like Ninja and telephone.

“Team building is a great way to make people more comfortable and to get them out of their comfort zone,” Maestretti said.

One of the most exciting things about the trip was that all of the third year DECA members got to lead all of the activities. It was thought of as a reward for being a member of DECA for 3 years.

“Being a student leader is a great opportunity to show leadership,” Maestretti said.

All of the students were separated into groups of about 25 students and then all of the students together which was around 100 students.  

“The main reason of having groups was to become more of a family and to get to know each other,” Maestretti said.

Maestretti hopes that the number of students involved in future DECA chapters to increase over the years and to keep it fun for the students.

“The Wahooz trip is a great opportunity to meet new people and it’s super fun because it’s at Wahooz,” Maestretti said.

Senior Makayln Ashbaker was a third year DECA member and helped organize the Wahooz DECA field trip. The trip helped the students practice leadership and confidence for when they have to present in front of judges.

“Put yourself out there and don’t be nervous to share your ideas,” Ashbaker said.

An important part of the trip was team building activities. Everyone worked together to build trust in each other.

“Team building is always a necessity so don’t be afraid to take part in it,” Ashbaker said.

Ashbaker said that feedback from the Wahooz employees was very helpful and it left a legacy for future DECA members.

“Always have respect when someone is hosting you,” Ashbaker said.

The next competition for this DECA chapter was state where the top three teams/students went to nationals. Ashbaker recommends that you don’t overthink it and don’t be nervous.

“Have fun and put yourself out there,” Ashbaker said.