Ceramics Class

Junior+Wilson+Wood+sits+at+the+pottery+wheel+in+ceramics+class+to+work+on+his+project+on+Nov.+14.+%E2%80%9CThere+is+no+limit+to+what+you+can+accomplish+in+this+class%2C%E2%80%9D+Wood+said.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Ceramics Class

Junior Wilson Wood sits at the pottery wheel in ceramics class to work on his project on Nov. 14. “There is no limit to what you can accomplish in this class,” Wood said.

Hannah Tannhauser, Staff Writer

Junior ceramics student Lynnie Ferguison said that ceramics was not a typical class. She described it as wavy because she could do whatever her heart desired on projects and there were never any restrictions on creativity.  

“One time I decided to make a pig randomly, then I painted it and it ended up looking like a cow,” Ferguison said.  

She said the teacher, Chad Ritzer, would have given a few minimum requirements such as: Using a specific texture, cut shapes into the piece or, make it colorful. This way the students had a broad spectrum of ideas they could do. It provided enough freedom so they could demonstrate their creative side with enough restriction to provide a proper grade.

“This is an amazing class because it’s a great eye opener,” she said.  

Ferguison said it wasn’t about what needed to be done, this class is all about what could be accomplished. No one could make you great. In here, the sky’s the limit.  

“You get to decide; you get to be what you want to be in there,” Ferguison said.  

Ferguison had been in this class for two years and says she would take the class again in her senior year unless she needs the extra elective for an AP class.  

“I’ve had a great experience so far, and I get to keep the pieces I make, they make me proud every time I look at them,” she said.

Junior ceramics student Wilson Wood had been in ceramics for one year. He said that ceramics class was both very fun but still challenging.

“I recommend this class because it is one way to express your inner thoughts on clay,” Wood said.

Wood said that getting messy in the class was a given. he had to get close to the spinning clay, and even with an apron it was messy and got on clothing.

“It’s part of the ride,” he said.

Wood said that ceramics was fun because it showed his mind. He had to take risks in this class because if it is something he wasn’t comfortable with, it would sometimes give his product that amazing attribute. He also said he once did this barbed wire piece with mixed colors which was symbolic to one of his memories.

“Picasso was only what he created,” Wood said.

Wood took this class initially as a filler class since he didn’t get into the audition class of theater but he immediately fell in love with it.

“It’s the class of a lifetime, you feel different leaving the class at the end of the day than when you first arrived,” he said.