- The student news site of Capital High School - Formally known as CHS Flight -
Back to Article
Back to Article

Band Salt Lake Trip

Junior Shannon Maloney, seniors Megumi Jordan and Victoria Richardson, junior Adria Bower, and senior Rachel Johnson, smile after the band performance at the Wasatch Competition in Salt Lake, “A lot of the bands there were more advanced than us, and this competition gave us a chance to see the next level of marching band,” Richardson said. Band Trip, Oct. 12. Photo by Rose Lane

Band Salt Lake Trip

In October the marching band and color guard went to a competition in Salt Lake City, Utah. This was a different competition than the one they usually went to. Most years the band went to Pasco, Washington, but this year the Pasco competition fell at the same time as Homecoming. So instead they went to a bigger competition in a different state.

Senior Megan Gallas said that one of the best parts of the band trip was the performance. The band had a great sound and good foot timing throughout the show.

“We did really good, and we made the crowd love it,” she said.

Another part of the trip she liked was hanging out with friends before and after the show. They walked around the mall and had dinner together in addition to riding on two buses together for five hours both ways.

“It lets you build bonds you didn’t know you had,” she said.

The band also bonded through their warm-ups while getting ready to perform. During this time the students practiced different parts of the show, both visually and musically.

“The warm-ups are very simple, but effective, they get us ready to perform,” she said.

Gallas felt confident about the rest of the season. She said they still had stuff to work on, but they would improve.

“We’re gonna work hard and hopefully place at DIII,” she said.

CHS Today • Copyright 2019 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in